The Berenstain Bears in the Dark is the twelfth Living Books PC CD-Rom from 1996, and it was based on the 1982 book written by Stan & Jan Berenstain, and this CD-Rom was released in 1996.
|The Berenstain Bears: In The Dark|
Living Books CD Rom (1996)
May 6, 1996
Brother Bear, Sister Bear, Mama Bear and Papa Bear
The story opens in the library, where Sister Bear impatiently waits for Brother Bear to check out a book. He finds a book titled The Case of the Crying Cave, and Sister remarks that it sounds scary, and by contrast, borrows a much more cutesy book. Once they get home, both start to read their books, but Sister gets a little bored with hers, and begins reading with Brother. Brother begins to dramatize the book, and makes a howling noise that freaks out Sister. When they go to bed that night, Sister begins to picture dark things as spooky, and has trouble sleeping. Brother then makes a wailing noise, which causes her to cry for help. Mama and Papa rush into the kids' bedroom, tripping over each other, and Sister falls down on top of them. Mama and Papa try to convince her that there's nothing to be afraid of, but it doesn't do any good at all, and both siblings fight to determine who would sleep with the lights on or off. The next morning, the Bear family is too tired to do anything due to the lack of sleep. Papa explains that her imagination has been taking control of her and making the dark look spooky. He takes her upstairs to the attic, and she tries not to let her imagination take her over. She soon begins to learn that she was only fooling herself and there was really nothing to be afraid of the dark. Papa proceeds to show her his old night light, telling her that even he was afraid of the dark once, which puts Sister Bear in disbelief. That evening, she goes back downstairs and decides to finish reading the rest of The Case of the Crying Cave. She gets disappointed when the wailing noise heard in the book turned out to just be the wind, and remarks about this to Brother that night. The story has ended with Brother Bear feeling a little uneasy about the darkness, and deciding that maybe he's had quite enough mysteries for a while.
- Brother Bear
- Sister Bear
- Mama Bear
- Papa Bear
- The scouts (from The Case of the Crying Cave)
- The firefly (running gag)
- Sister & Papa's Animal-Cave Match
- Brother's Picture Jumble Game
- This is the first title to use a 640 x 480 resolution, in comparison to the 512 x 384 resolution of the previous titles.
- A prototype of "Stellaluna", and the "Green Eggs & Ham" demo appears on this disc, due to it not being released at the same time. It even includes a click point that didn't make it into the final.
- A fair amount of the three animations are reused from The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight, including the "The End" screen, the Options screen, and the Quit screen.
- Not counting Arthur's Birthday V2, this is the last game to use the wizard animation in the credits.
- Like the other Berenstain Bears game, it's been out of print for very long, and it is really difficult to find.
Brother Bear: Hold Your Horses I'm Looking For A Good Mystery
Brother Bear: Hey This One This One Looks Good
Brother Bear: You Want To Check It Out
Sister Bear: OK Let's Check It Out
Mama Bear: Daisies
Mama Bear: Rose
Mama Bear: Corn
Mama Bear: Tomatoes
Firefly: (Zooms) Are You Ready To Turn The Page?
Papa Bear: No Not Yet
I'm cuter than you are.
No, you're not. I'm the cutest.
No. I'm cutest.
Brother Bear: A Mysterious Cave Said The Scouts We Should Explore It
Brother Bear: Whooooooooooooo Cried The Deep Cave Mysterious Brother Experimence Whooooooooooooooooooo!
Sister Bear: Stop!
Brother Bear: Scaredy Bear Scaredy Bear
Sister Bear: That's Enough!
Brother Bear: Scaredy Bear Scaredy Bear
Sister Bear: I'm Leaving
Papa Bear: And That's Quite Enough Of That
Brother Bear: Whoooooooooooo
Sister Bear: Augh! Mama! Papa! Hurry! Come Quickly!
Papa Bear: Ow!
Papa Bear: Alright Mama Here's Our Nightcap
Mama Bear: Thank You
Mama Bear: I Think We Need A Night Light To Glow Our Room
Papa Bear: I Think I Got A Great Idea Come With Me Sister
Brother Bear: Cut That Out!